Archives Assistant -- Texas State Library & Archives Commission -- Austin, TX
Division: Archives and Information Services
Position Title: Archives Assistant
Work Location: 1201 Brazos - Austin, TX 78701
Working Hours: Part Time - 20 hours a week
Salary Group: A-09
Classification No. 7350 - Librarian Assistant
Job Posting No. 00003879
Monthly Salary: $1,200/Month
Date Job Available: February 1, 2019
Please paste the following URL into a browser to view the entire job posting in the CAPPS Career Section: https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=00003879&tz=G...
TSLAC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability in employment or in the provision of services, programs, or activities. For job opening inquiries or to request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act please contact the TSLAC Human Resources office by calling 512-463-5474.
Applications submitted to TSLAC may be subject to public disclosure, upon request, pursuant to the Texas Public Information Act.
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the fields no applicable MOS for Library Assistant or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position and are highly encouraged to apply. Please call Human Resources at (512) 463-6564 with questions or foradditional information. Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_Inform...
Performs entry level archival work. This is a part-time temporary position for 20 hours per week, up to a maximum of 240 hours. Under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Archives, the Archives Assistant will process and rehouse late 20th century records, and draft descriptive finding aids. Works under close supervision, with minimal latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Organize and process late 20th century archival records
- Rehouse archival records into acid-free folders and boxes
- Prepare inventory list and descriptive finding aids for archival records
- Attend work regularly and in accordance with agency leave and attendance policies
- Comply with all applicable agency policies and procedures, including safety and standards of conduct
- Complete other related duties as assigned
- May lift or move heavy objects, such as boxes of archival records or supply materials
- Write report or blog entry on work accomplished
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Demonstrated professional work, volunteer or class room experience in handling archival materials
- Experience using Microsoft office software
- Visual acuity, manual dexterity, and legible handwriting
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally
- Coursework in archival methodology or enrollment in an advanced degree program in library science or archival methodology
- Experience processing archival materials
- Experience working with organizational records
- Knowledge or use of XML software for coding finding aids
- Ability to decipher 20th century handwriting
- College level coursework in American or Texas history or government
- Experience using MS Word, Excel, and Access
- Criminal history check will be required of successful applicant
- Ability to lift and move boxes weighing 40 pounds
- Non-smoking work environment
- Reports to Assistant Director, State Archives, Archives and Information Services Division
- Have no supervisory responsibilities